Wednesday, January 20, 2010

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

as the old saying goes... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... well, how about... success is in the eye of the beholder.... or success is in the eye of the mother? we each measure success differently. I know I still have a little over a week to go on the pantry challenge... but I am deeming it successful....I went to look for a can of tomato sauce... and lo and behold... the cupboards were bare.... I have very few canned goods in my cabinet....3 cans of refried beans left... what am I going to do with 3 cans of refried beans?? why did I buy 3 cans of refried beans?? do we like refried beans??


Enough about beans.... I just ordered a new cookbook (because the 45 I have, just aren't enough). I am going to try and hold off going to the grocery store until it arrives in the mail! I am going on 13 months of not working... so I need to look at some areas to start saving money and groceries is definitely an area I could use some help! How much tooting would 3 cans of refried beans bring on?? Stay on track, Melissa!

I just put the ingredients for Barbecue Bean Stew in the crockpot... (I had a steak that needed to be used and I added a can of pinto beans to the recipe so I am still cleaning out the pantry.) I will be anxious to let you all know how it turns out. And if the picky kids will eat it? This month of trying to stay away from the grocery, I have made some things that I rarely make or have never made and I have to admit, I have been impressed.... my picky P-Man has tried (and even liked) some things I would never have imagined... meatloaf! Pork patties (who can resist something that is fried?) and pork chops... I am not a big meatloaf fan.... but the recipe I have is pretty good.... make your basic meatloaf recipe and add some italian seasonings to it.... then instead of making a "loaf" - roll it out to about an inch thick square.... put mozzarella cheese inside..roll it up into the loaf, pinch up your ends.... and bake 45 min... pour tomato sauce over it and then let it finish cooking another 15-30 min! When you cut it open the cheese will ooze out... the kids like this!

Okay, I need to sort through the huge pile of papers on my kitchen counter and right now, I am chatting on and on so I can procrastinate....
get moving Melissa!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment